The dynamics of pulmonary tuberculosis in Colima, Mexico (1999-2002)

Gerardo Chowell, Porfirio Diaz-Dueñas, Diego Chowell

Research output: Contribution to journalArticlepeer-review

5 Scopus citations


Tuberculosis is a public health problem in Mexico. From 1999 to 2002, we assessed retrospectively the epidemiological, clinical, and treatment characteristics of pulmonary tuberculosis in the hospitals of the Mexican Institute of Public Health in the state of Colima (Mexico). We included 184 cases diagnosed with pulmonary tuberculosis. A database containing demographic, epidemiological, and clinical information was constructed and analyzed. We estimate a median patient delay of 83 d and a mean treatment delay of 2.3 d. Of 14 cases suspected for multiresistance and microbiologically assayed, 5 were found to carry a multi-drug-resistant strain. We also found a significant association between a short patient delay and the presence of hemoptysis (p=0.002) or dyspnea (p>0.001). 86 patients (46.8%) were sputum smear microscopy negative at the end of treatment and 40 (21.7%) completed treatment giving an overall success rate of 68.5%, which compares unfavorably with the World Health Organization target success rate of 85%. Five (2.7%) patients failed treatment, 10 (5.4%) died, 39 (21.2%) interrupted treatment, and 4 (2.2%) transferred to another reporting unit. A 2002 strategic change in drug distribution seemed to prove successful.

Original languageEnglish (US)
Pages (from-to)858-862
Number of pages5
JournalScandinavian Journal of Infectious Diseases
Issue number11-12
StatePublished - Nov 2005
Externally publishedYes

ASJC Scopus subject areas

  • Immunology and Microbiology(all)
  • Microbiology (medical)
  • Infectious Diseases


Dive into the research topics of 'The dynamics of pulmonary tuberculosis in Colima, Mexico (1999-2002)'. Together they form a unique fingerprint.

Cite this