Glass ingestion from fracture of a laryngoscope bulb

David P. Sklar, Dan Tandberg

Research output: Contribution to journalArticlepeer-review

6 Scopus citations


A 22-month-old child had a generalized tonic-clonic seizure during attempted orotracheal intubation and broke the laryngoscope bulb with his teeth. The glass was swallowed but passed uneventfully through the gastrointestinal tract. The possibility of this unusual complication should be considered when patients at risk for seizures are intubated by the orotracheal route.

Original languageEnglish (US)
Pages (from-to)569-571
Number of pages3
JournalJournal of Emergency Medicine
Issue number5
StatePublished - 1992
Externally publishedYes


  • complications
  • endotracheal intubation
  • gastrointestinal foreign bodies
  • glass
  • laryngoscope bulb
  • seizures

ASJC Scopus subject areas

  • Emergency Medicine


Dive into the research topics of 'Glass ingestion from fracture of a laryngoscope bulb'. Together they form a unique fingerprint.

Cite this