Food acquisition habits, nutrient intakes, and anthropometric data of Havasupai adults

Linda A. Vaughan, Daniel C. Benyshek, John F. Martin

    Research output: Contribution to journalArticlepeer-review

    36 Scopus citations


    Objective. To describe the dietary patterns, anthropometric data, and food sources of Havasupai adults (≤18 years old) and determine the effect of age and gender. Design. Dietary intakes (one 24-hour recall), anthropometric measures (body mass index [BMI], waist-to-hip ratio [WHR]) and demographic data, including sites of food purchases, were obtained. Food sources of selected nutrients were calculated from diet recalls. Setting/subjects. 92 adults (60 women, 32 men) from the Havasupai Reservation, Supai, Ariz. Statistical analyses. Descriptive statistics were generated for demographic data. Nutrient intakes, BMI, and WHR were compared across gender and age groups ('younger' [18 to 59 years old] vs 'older' [≤60 years old]) by one-way analysis of variance. Two-tailed t tests identified significant differences in selected food practices by age group. Results. Diets were moderately high in fat (35% of energy), saturated fat (12%), and sugar (14%); intakes of zinc, calcium, vitamin A, vitamin B-6, and folate were frequently inadequate (less than two thirds of the Recommended Dietary Allowance). Of the 92 subjects, 76 (83%) were obese (BM≤27). Fifty-four of the 60 women (90%) and 24 of the 32 men (75%) exhibited abdominal obesity (no age effect). Thirty-nine of the subjects (42%) consumed at least one food item purchased off the reservation on the day of the recall; the remaining 53 subjects (58%) consumed only food purchased or acquired on the reservation. Older Havasupai were significantly more dependent on the tribal store and other village food sources than were younger adults. Food sources of key nutrients did not differ by age or gender. Applications. The dietary patterns of isolated populations may be shaped by the unique limitations of their food sources as well as by factors such as age and gender. Individual and communitywide efforts to improve nutrient intakes and food patterns must recognize these geographic limitations. For populations such as the Havasupai, cooperative marketing and health promotion efforts between tribal officials, health care providers, and managers of the cafe and tribal store could improve the availability and consumption of a wider range of health-promoting foods.

    Original languageEnglish (US)
    Pages (from-to)1275-1282
    Number of pages8
    JournalJournal of the American Dietetic Association
    Issue number11
    StatePublished - Jan 1 1997

    ASJC Scopus subject areas

    • Food Science
    • Nutrition and Dietetics


    Dive into the research topics of 'Food acquisition habits, nutrient intakes, and anthropometric data of Havasupai adults'. Together they form a unique fingerprint.

    Cite this